How does table salt affect the boiling temperature of
Many cooking recipes give you the instruction of adding
salt to the water when boiling something. This can do many
things to the water and there must be a special reason why
they tell you to add salt to the water. This experiment
will show us how salt affects the temperature of boiling
Adding table salt to boiling water will cause the water to
boil at a higher temperature.
· Table Salt
· Distilled Water
· 2 Quart Cooking Pot
· Pint measuring cup
· Teaspoon and tablespoon measuring spoons
· Stirring spoon
1. Boil one quart of distilled water on a stove.
2. Measure the temperature of the boiling water. Record
the highest temperature reading.
3. Measure out table salt using a kitchen measuring spoon.
Level the spoonful.
4. Add the measured salt to the boiling water and stir.
5. Measure the temperature of the boiling water with the
salt in it. Record the highest temperature reading.
6. Repeat it now with two spoons of salt.
Record And Analyze Data:
of Boiling Water
of salt added the first time
of boiling water after salt was added
of salt added the second time
of boiling water after salt was added the second